Topamax is mainly used to treat epilepsy and migraine headaches. It usually works by reducing bursts of electrical activity in the brain. As a result, it restores the normal balance of nerve activity. However, it does come with a number of side effects that you should learn about in advance, ranging from mild side effects like abdominal pain to serious side effects like vision loss and glaucoma. While you can't flush Topamax out of your system directly, you can help the process by increasing your intake of fibrous vegetables and staying hydrated. If you feel that the risks of taking Topamax are not worth it, alternatives can be sought through psychotherapy or other medications under medical supervision. Ultimately, the decision is yours.
Topamax is a specific brand of medicine known as topiramate. It is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor that is used to treat a variety of serious medical conditions.
As with any other potent drug, precautions must be taken and this is not a drug that should be prescribed for everyone.
Young children, the elderly and pregnant women should avoid ingestion because they are in a more vulnerable physical condition.
studieshave shown that taking Topamax during pregnancy increases the risk that the baby will develop birth defects.
The most important message to take away from this is to consider the potential risks you may face when taking Topamax.
What is Topamax used for? What side effects can Topamax have? Can you remove Topamax from your system? Given its long list of minor and serious side effects, is it worth taking Topamax? Are there alternatives to Topamax or is it your only option?
What is Topamax used for?
Topamax is mainly used to treat epilepsy and prevent migraine headaches.
It is also prescribed for various conditions such as seizures, obsessive-compulsive disorder, essential tremors, binge eating.eating disorderand alcoholism.
It is also sometimes prescribed for people who suffer from anxiety and weight loss, although its effectiveness in those departments is not guaranteed.
Usually, when a drug is prescribed for a serious condition, side effects can also be part of the package.
Here one can doubt whether the advantages of Topamax outweigh the disadvantages.
What side effects can Topamax have?
Despite the therapeutic effects of a drug, it is always better to know in advance what unwanted side effects it may have.
The table below covers the mild and serious side effects of Topamax so that you can assess what you are getting.
|Topamax mild side effects||Topamax serious side effects|
|stomachache||possible vision loss|
|loss of appetite and taste||kidney stones|
|Diarrhea||Mood and personality changes.|
|Language and memory complications||blood acid|
|weightloss||high body temperature|
|drowsiness||High amount of ammonia in the body.|
mar astudy 2005Topamax was generally well tolerated, and serious side effects were rare.
However, since these are risky side effects, most try to avoid using this medication.
While most of the side effects caused by Topamax are not permanent, some can have long-term effects if not treated right away, such as: B. Vision problems leading to glaucoma.
Since these types of side effects are too serious to ignore, your doctor will probably stop you from using Topamax.
Can you remove Topamax from your system?
You cannot completely remove Topamax from your system right away.
After you stop taking the drug, it naturally takes about 5 days for your body to automatically eliminate it from your system.
Since the toxicity of the drug can cause negative effects on your body, such as dizziness, fainting, and confusion, you should not sit still and wait for your body to gradually release the drug.
In these cases, you can take preventative measures to help your body speed up the redness process.
The following list will help you with that.
- hydrate– This is especially important if you have to take a lot of prescription drugs for your condition. Drinking a lot of water helps detoxify the body, since it eliminates toxins, chemicals and fats. 7 to 8 glasses of water are a must!
- nutritious food– Organic food will do your body a lot of good in the detoxification process. For example, vegetables like wheatgrass and kale are excellent sources of fiber. At the same time, berries like strawberries and raspberries are antioxidants that have been shown to boost the immune system.studiesCreated by the US National Library of Medicine. You can also include chia, coriander and parsley seeds in your diet, as they absorb and clean impurities throughout the intestine.
- stay away from toxins– If you need to remove Topamax from your body urgently, it is highly recommended not to smoke cigarettes and not to drink alcohol. You should also stay away from coffee for a while as it can be a harmful toxin as well.
- avoid stress– Stress will only make the situation worse. Getting a relaxing massage and communicating your feelings to family and friends would go a long way in minimizing stress.
Is it worth taking Topamax?
Our discussion so far shows that while Topamax may be effective in treating the conditions of interest, it does present a risk that your doctor should tell you about before prescribing it.
AStudy 2012the US National Library of Medicine found that up to 10% of patients treated with Topamax may experience cognitive problems.
This is serious business, as cognitive complications can interfere with essential day-to-day tasks.
In addition to the risk of such side effects, the withdrawal symptoms that accompany Topamax treatment are another thing to consider.
Doctors caution against stopping Topamax abruptly, especially if you have epilepsy, because stopping the drug suddenly can trigger or worsen seizures.
Therefore, Topamax has a recommended withdrawal schedule set by doctors.
AObservational study 2015it also demonstrated the potential for weight gain after stopping Topamax in migraineurs.
Alternatives to Topamax
Topamax alternatives depend on the underlying condition you have.
The following list covers these ailments and the corresponding alternatives you can opt for. Remember that you should not change your prescription without the express approval of your doctor.
- migraine– You can use a variety of over-the-counter pills, such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Other medications such as opioids and lasmiditan may also be considered.
- obsessive compulsive disorder– Alternative medications for OCD include antidepressants such as sertraline, paroxetine, and fluoxetine. TOStudy 2012It also showed that psychological therapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder in adults and children is supported by numerous clinical studies.
- Depression– If you think Topamax is not worth the risk, you have several options, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants. Your doctor will help you find the right medication for your depression based on personal evaluation reports.
- Distress– If you feel uncomfortable taking anxiolytic medications, you can always resort to psychotherapy. If not, you can use alternative drugs to Topamax, such as benzodiazepines and buspirone.
Can Topamax cause permanent brain damage?
in aopen studio 2012Significant cognitive impairment was observed in 70% of patients after 3 months, which persisted for 12 months in approximately 20% of patients taking Topamax.
Of course, temporary brain damage can be caused. However, its durability may depend on other factors such as dosage and continued use.
What personality changes can you expect from Topamax?
Personality and mood changes are serious side effects of Topamax.
Expected changes include sudden feelings of excitement and aggression, anxiety, depression, and in rare cases, even suicidal thoughts.
What should you avoid while taking Topamax?
Since Topamax can form kidney stones, you should drink plenty of fluids to reduce your chances.
It is also important to avoid driving and using machines, as dizziness, blurred vision, and difficulty thinking are also possible symptoms.
Also stay away from dangerous sports and activities like swimming and mountaineering for the same reasons.
Now that you have an idea of the various mild and serious side effects of Topamax and the medical studies that show the possible harm of Topamax, it is entirely up to you to decide if this medication is worth taking.
You can always discuss the possibility of side effects and work out an alternative prescription with your doctor if you feel uncomfortable taking Topamax.
However, if your medical condition is very serious and you need urgent treatment, Topamax may be a better option as long as you can handle the mild side effects.
Either way, it's up to you to balance the scales and make the right decision under the guidance of your doctor.