You've heard of that statement; "Topamax ruined my life"? If so, you must have wondered how this is possible and how to avoid it.
In this article Show
Today, Healthsoothe will answer these questions and more. We will also share the various experiences of different people who claimed that Topamax ruined their lives.
Not only will we share how Topamax can ruin lives, but also how you can recover from the devastating Topamax side effects, and even better, how to avoid them and get the most out of Topamax.
Related ruined stories to read
How Invega Ruined My Life and What I Did to Make It Better
How Abilify Ruined My Life and What I Did to Make It Better
How Isagenix Ruined My Life and What I Did to Make It Better
How Gabapentin Ruined My Life and How I Recovered
How Serotonin Syndrome Ruined My Life and How I Recovered
How Doxycycline Ruined My Life and What I Did to Get Better
Prolapse Ruined My Life | Live your life to the fullest with a pelvic organ prolapse (POP)
OCD Is Ruining My Life | Living With OCD: Will You Come Out Of It?
First, let's talk about Topamax
Topamax is a medicine mainly used alone or in combination with other medicines to prevent and treat seizures (epilepsy). Topamax belongs to a class of drugs known as anticonvulsants.
Its generic name is topiramate.
Topamax is prescribed for the following illnesses or conditions; Migraines, diabetes, depression, fibromyalgia, obesity, impulsivity, bipolar disorder, alcohol addiction, seizures and nerve damage.
Topamax side effects
Topamax side effects; Dizziness, weight loss, paraesthesia (tingling), drowsiness, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, nasopharyngitis: Common cold, depression, weight gain, anemia, disturbance in attention, memory impairment, amnesia, cognitive disorder, mental impairment, psychomotor skills impaired, seizures, incoordination, tremor, lethargy, hypoesthesia, nystagmus, dysgeusia, impaired balance, dysarthria, intentional tremor, sedation, blurred vision, diplopia, visual disturbances, dizziness, tinnitus, earache, dyspnoea, epistaxis, nasal congestion, runny nose , vomiting, constipation , abdominal pain, dyspepsia, dry mouth, stomach pain, oral paresthesia, gastritis, abdominal discomfort, nephrolithiasis, frequency, dysuria, alopecia (hair loss), rash, pruritus, arthralgia, muscle spasms, myalgia, muscle spasms, weakness, musculoskeletal discomfort chest pain, anorexia, decreased appetite, pyrexia, asthenia, irritability, disturbances Gait, sensation abnormal , malaise, hypersensitivity, supportive dysphrenia, insomnia, speech disorder, anxiety, confused state, disorientation, aggression, mood swings, agitation, mood swings, anger, abnormal behavior, presence of crystals in urine, blood test abnormal tandem gait, decreased white blood cell count, bradycardia, sinus bradycardia, palpitations, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, lymphadenopathy, eosinophilia, depressed level of consciousness, grand mal seizures, visual field defect, partial seizure disorder, speech disorder , psychomotor hyperactivity, syncope, sensory disturbance, excessive salivation, hypersomnia, aphasia, repetitive speech (stuttering), hypokinesia, dyskinesia, postural dizziness, poor sleep quality, burning sensation, sensory loss, parosmia, cerebellar syndrome, dysesthesia, hypogeusia, stupor, clumsiness, aura, ageusia, dysgraphia, dysphasia, peripheral neuropathy, presyncope, dystonia, cradle (bug sensation r crawling under the skin), decreased visual acuity, scotoma, myopia, abnormal sensation in eye, dry eye, photophobia, blepharospasm, increased lacrimation, photopsia, mydriasis, presbyopia, deafness, unilateral deafness, inner ear deafness, ear discomfort , hearing loss, exertional dyspnoea, sinus hypersecretion, dysphonia, pancreatitis, flatulence, gastroesophageal reflux disease, hypoesthesia, oral gum bleeding, abdominal distension, epigastric discomfort, abdominal tenderness, excessive salivation, mouth pain, bad breath, glossodynia, urinary calculi, incontinence, hematuria (blood in the urine), incontinence, urinary urgency, renal colic, kidney pain, anhidrosis, facial hypoaesthesia, urticaria, erythema, generalized pruritus, macular rash, skin discoloration, allergic dermatitis, facial swelling, swelling of the joints, muscle stiffness, skeletal and flank pain, muscle fatigue, metabolic acidosis, hypocalcification anemia, increased appetite, polio ipsia, hypotension, orthostatic hypotension Learning difficulties, erectile dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, hallucinations, psychotic disorder, apathy, lack of spontaneous speech, sleep disorders, decreased libido, agitation, crying, dysphemia, mood euphoric, paranoia, perseveration, panic attacks, crying, dyslexia, initial insomnia, superficial affect, abnormal thinking, loss of libido, apathy, mild insomnia, absent-mindedness, morning awakening, panic reaction, elevated mood, decreased blood bicarbonate, neutropenia, apraxia, circadian rhythm sleep disorder, hyperesthesia, hyposmia, anosmia, essential tremor, kinesia, unresponsiveness to stimuli, unilateral blindness, transient blindness, glaucoma, accommodation disorder, impaired visual depth perception, scintillation scotoma, eyelid edema, night blindness, amblyopia, ureteral calculus, renal tubular and Acidosis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme, anal odor skin rash, periorbital oedema, localized urticaria, discomfort in extremities, hyperchloremic acidosis, Raynaud's phenomenon, facial oedema, calcinosis, mania, anorgasmia, panic disorder, disorder of arousal during intercourse, feeling hopeless, abnormal orgasm, hypomania , decreased sensation of orgasm.
If we look at the list of side effects associated with it, it becomes clear that Topamax is not very safe. In fact, the list is very long.
Many of the side effects can even ruin someone's life, which means you don't have to wonder how Topamax can ruin someone's life if someone says; "Topamax ruined my life."
Tiredness, dizziness, dizziness, loss of coordination, tingling hands/feet, loss of appetite, changes in food taste, diarrhea and weight loss may occur.
Mental problems such as confusion, slow thinking, difficulty concentrating or paying attention, nervousness, memory problems, or speech/language problems may also occur.
If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.Remember, this medication has been prescribed for you because your doctor has determined that the benefit to you outweighs the risk of side effects.
Many people who take this medication do not experience serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects such as: bone pain, signs of kidney stones (such as severe back/side/abdominal/groin pain, fever, chills, painful/frequent urination, blood/pink), bleeding /bruises.
Seek medical help immediately if you experience very serious side effects such as: B. rapid breathing and fast/slow/irregular heartbeat.
A small number of people who take antiseizure medications for any condition (eg, seizures, bipolar disorder, pain) may develop depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts, or other mental/mood problems.
Tell your doctor right away if you or your family/caregiver notice any unusual/sudden changes in your mood, thoughts or behavior, including signs of depression, suicidal thoughts/attempts and thoughts of harming yourself.
In rare cases, Topamax can cause a very serious eye problem, usually within 1 month of starting treatment. This eye problem can lead to permanent blindness.
Get medical help right away if any of these side effects occur: sudden visual disturbances (eg, decreased vision, blurred vision), eye pain/redness.
In rare cases, this medication can cause a serious metabolic problem (large amounts of ammonia in your blood), especially if you are also taking valproic acid.
Tell your doctor immediately if you experience sudden/unexplained tiredness, vomiting or mental changes (such as decreased alertness).
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek medical help immediately if you experience any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness and difficulty breathing.
In the US: Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You can report side effects to the FDA by calling 1-800-FDA-1088 orwww.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada: Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You can report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
How Topamax ruined my life - Read what others said about it
Emdroga.com,Topamax has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 out of 594 reviews for migraine prevention treatment.
45% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 32% reported a negative experience, which ranks Topamax in one place.It's not good for a drug to get such a high negative rating.
In the last week alone, I've spoken with several people about their medical appointments. Each of them had a different illness and each of them was prescribed the drug Topamax.
I can't help but wonder how one drug can treat so many different illnesses. I suspect this is not possible and that the hype comes from marketing rather than medicine.
This led me to do some research on Topamax.What I found is not good. Topamax is prescribed for a variety of conditions for which there is likely to be little evidence of its effectiveness.
I'll leave some of the bad experiences people have had while taking Topamax so you can read why people are saying this; "Topamax ruined my life." The following experiences aredroga.com;
- The first experience I will report is from Partially Blind who posted her experience while taking Topamax. Here comes; “On Topamax and 6 years ago I had what I thought was a seizure and spots in my right eye. The stains NEVER disappeared. Other symptoms of this horrible drug: itching, seizures, hair loss, extreme flashes, extreme weight loss, my doctor never bothered. I stopped this horrible drug in October 2016. Shortly after that I had a small stroke. Do not take this medicine if you want to stay healthy and preserve your eyesight. I filed a complaint with the FDA and of course they didn't care either. This drug is the result of lobbying by greedy pharmaceutical companies and the FDA to approve such a destructive drug. Doctors don't care either. Everyone keeps making money while patients end up with permanent damage that CANNOT be repaired.”
- According to Becca: “I've had Topomax for about 2 months now for recurrent migraines; He has done nothing but make my life. It's a living nightmare. I started with a complete loss of appetite followed by extreme nausea. Then the psychological effects kicked in. I get extremely paranoid; The anxiety and paranoia only got worse when she took Topamax, which was soon followed by severe depression. Then came the hallucinations; I saw paintings moving on the walls, colors and shapes moving across the floor, and I heard voices several times a day. I totally regret taking this medication, I want my life back."
- The third experience comes from an anonymous person who has been taking Topamax for less than a month: “I had chronic migraines and I was prescribed this medication. At first I had no migraines or headaches, but then it got worse. I urge you not to take this medicine if you have an alternative. This created a barrier in my conversations. I couldn't understand what people were saying, I had a hard time finding answers, and I felt high all the time."
- The fourth is from Erin Gibson: "Topamax ruined my life! Kaiser prescribed it for me until my therapist told me to stop if it didn't work after telling her I've been taking it for over a year. This drug made my hands, feet and face tingles and made me see people's faces in a distorted way, like in a horror movie! My headaches are caused by a 2 cm round tumor in my left temporal lobe near my cortex in the hypothalamus hippocampus, causes seizures mild headaches and a horrible headache on the right side of my brain! Although neurologists say there is no link, I know from research that there is a link and no one is helping me deal with the terrible and debilitating headaches. So when Kaiser said "try Topamax", I sure said why not. I lost 2 years of my life to my son who was a junior in high school, it's a wonder my husband was still married to me at 25! Topamax ruined my life for 2 years ."
- Piggy is the fifth to take Topamax for less than a month: “I was given Topamax for migraines. At first it was amazing, my migraines stopped. But as my dose increased I developed memory loss, confusion and severe panic attacks. These problems persisted for a full year after stopping the drug. One plus point: I haven't had migraines since then. This drug changes your brain chemistry. be very careful
- Tia T, who has been taking Topamax for 1-2 years says; “I've been through a lot with this drug! I ended up feeling dizzy, confused, very irritable, the pain behind my eyes was so bad that I had a headache every day. I was terrified of driving because my perception was wrong, so wrong that sometimes it was as if the road was moving and not my car. I had memory loss and couldn't say things correctly or make input at work, it felt like my brain was trying to get out of my skull. In this one I had to go to the gynecologist for having abnormal periods and to the neurologist for my head! I also felt pain in my breasts, arms and legs to the point where I couldn't wash my hair or get ready. My legs were so bad I couldn't climb stairs! My husband was scared, I was scared, I was going crazy and something was wrong with me. This drug wreaks havoc on your body, brain and eyes! DAMN NIGHTMARE..... I stopped 3 days ago and I'm already better... I'm 42 years old and I'm a healthy person or I was!!”
- From Panda, who took Topamax for 6 months: “I took Topamax because I had migraines almost every day and other treatments failed. I was not informed about serious side effects. I've never had a panic attack before, but I've had them frequently with Topamax. They were so intense I didn't know what to do. I didn't feel like myself, I felt like a different person or an empty shell of myself. I went to my primary care (prescribed by a neurologist) and she said she has treated several other patients with Topamax for equally severe panic attacks. . The drug stayed in her system for so long that it was a horrible feeling. I was relieved to learn that it was the drug and that I wasn't losing it completely. Since then (that was 13 years ago) I have never tried migraine preventative medication because it was such a horrible experience.”
- Experience number 8 is from Mona, who has been taking Topamax for 6 months: “I started Topamax in a 50 mg tablet and was fine for the first few weeks. So I couldn't eat, I was hungry but I couldn't eat and I started having anxiety and depression and very dark thoughts. I stopped for 2 weeks and decided to try again and the same night I took the dose. I was terrified and unsure of myself. This drug is terrible"
- Von Ckaz: “A very dangerous medicine. It was prescribed to me for a headache. Many side effects were problems I already had. I have also told my doctor about myself and my wife on many occasions. The doctor said to keep taking it, the good outweighs the bad. And if I don't take it You won't try a new drug or see me again. So I tried it for 21 days. Hallucination, didn't know if he was awake or dreaming. Many bad things. So who knows where. I shot myself in the jaw. Somehow I survived. After waking up from a coma and many surgeries. I studied more medicine. I am 46 years old. In the test of this drug. 31% of all men between the ages of 41 and 49 have committed suicide. That's every third man. All within the first 30 days. Then my documents failed me"
- The last and tenth experience I would like to mention is that of a student who took Topamax for 6 months: “I have had migraines for over 10 years and 5 years ago I started Propanolol, then Depakin, which did not help, and now finally Topamax. Topamax is terrible. It made me suicidal. I started with 25mg and followed the steps for 4 weeks to increase the dosage as Dr. he said. My family immediately started to see a personality change. Once I got to the 100mg 2/day dose, things started to get worse. For 3 weeks I had nausea, couldn't get up, felt dizzy, had exams and couldn't concentrate, strange taste in my mouth, numb hands and feet and tiredness. I slept for days and I was still tired. This medicine is DANGEROUS. I never wanted to die so much. Please think about it."
If you read through all the experiences above, you can see for yourself how this statement is possible; "Topamax ruined my life"
Now how did Topamax ruin my life or how can it ruin yours?
If we look at the list of side effects associated with this drug, it becomes clear that Topamax is not very safe. In fact, the list is very long, and this contributes to the fact that it can ruin your life.
According to the FDA and its 2014 label update, Topamax comes with a black box warning that it has the following known side effects, showing how it can ruin your life:
- Acute myopia and secondary angle-closure glaucoma: If left untreated, increased intraocular pressure can lead to permanent vision loss. And losing sight is not in their books. Being blind can make life difficult for you, as vision is one of the five senses the body depends on.
- Visual field defects: have been reported regardless of increased intraocular pressure. Over time, this leads to blurred vision or blindness, which can make it difficult to carry out your daily activities.
- Oligohidrosis and hyperthermia: Monitor decreased sweating and increased body temperature, especially in pediatric patients. It always makes you look pale and sickly, and even a high temperature is a big no-no. And of course I can't imagine companies hiring people who look sick and you know what that means to you.
- Metabolic Acidosis: The acid levels in your body increase which can lead to toxicity in the body system and lead to fatal complications.
- Suicidal thoughts and behavior: Anti-epileptic drugs increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. If you have that kind of inclination, you end up in a mental hospital, discharged, and isolated from friends and family.
- Cognitive/Neuropsychiatric: Topamax may cause cognitive impairment. Depression and mood problems can occur in people with epilepsy and migraines. There is no need to talk about it. Of course you know what it means when your cognition is impaired. This means you won't understand simple concepts, let alone complex ones. You have the mind of a child and you have no control over your emotions. With all this, its future looks bleak if proper and immediate care and treatment is not provided.
- Fetal Toxicity: Use of Topamax during pregnancy may cause cleft lip and/or palate. This leads to the birth of children with deformities. And you know what happens to these kids in today's society when they grow up. Some of these children may commit suicide or stay home forever due to the extent of their deformity, ruining their lives and destroying the hopes their parents placed in them.
- Withdrawal problems: Some people want to stop taking Topamax, but because of the severe withdrawal symptoms associated with it, they are unable to stop taking the drug unless appropriate therapy is used. What does this say about Topamax? This means that Topamax is like those hard drugs (cocaine, marijuana, etc.) we hear about in this regard. Getting addicted to Topamax is bad because it can lead to an overdose which can cause serious side effects and of course makes you look like a drug addict and you know what happens to drug addicts these days.
- Hyperammonaemia and encephalopathy associated with or without concomitant use of valproic acid: Patients with inborn errors of metabolism or reduced mitochondrial activity may be at increased risk of hyperammonaemia. This leads to fetal toxicity to your body's system,
- Kidney Stones: This kidney problem makes your kidney inefficient and you know how important kidney is for the body. People with damaged kidneys do not live long.
The problem: brain slowdown
Topamax can slow down brain function. Why? Topamax is a voltage-gated calcium channel blocker (also known as a voltage-gated calcium channel blocker) that is a key channel for neuronal communication by releasing neurotransmitters.
Topamax is systemic, that is, it does not act only on a specific type of neuron, but on all neurons.
This means that the neurons responsible for how your heart beats, how your lungs work, how you blink your eyes and how you digest are all negatively affected by Topamax.
Neurons cannot release neurotransmitters, so communication between hormones in the brain and hormones in the body is disrupted.
Many of Topamax's side effects are so severe that migraineurs starting Topamax stop brain-slowing within weeks (some as early as day 3) of starting this medication.
This all goes to show how "Topamax ruined my life", although I have never used Topamax before, which means it has not ruined my life.
But that's not what this is about. My aim is to show the potential of this drug to complicate your health and thus ruin your life.
So, one should be careful and know what is suitable for your body system and stick to it because a healthy life always makes you ready and able to enjoy life to the fullest. So please inform yourself.
Always get your doctor's approval before taking any specific medication to use what's best for you, as some medications will never be right for you.
Just because Topamax worked for someone you knew doesn't mean it will work for you. Always confirm this with a doctor first.
How Topamax Ruined My Life and How I Recovered
Again, I'm sorry I can't quote my personal experience with Topamax as I've never used it, but I've disregarded other people's experiences with Topamax before, so you're talking about "How Topamax ruined my life."
And now. I won't let these experiences go again; Instead, I am going to let you know how to recover from Topamax.
Yes, you can recover from Topamax ruining your life. It's not a death sentence, nor is it like cancer or HIV. You can recover if you focus on it.
First and foremost, you should follow the warnings and precautions, avoid potential drug interactions, and consult your doctor for treatment.
There are alternatives to Topamax. Talk to your doctor so he can recommend or prescribe the right thing for you.
If you are focused, serious, goal-oriented and unwavering, as well as resourceful, believe me, you are on the mend, as various therapies and treatments are now available.
All you have to do is find the right ones and you're good to go.
How to Use Topamax to Get the Most Out of It (Warnings and Precautions)
The following instructions will really help you to avoid side effects during, before and after using Topamax;
- Do not share this medicine with others.
- Laboratory and/or medical tests (such as eye tests and blood bicarbonate levels) should be done regularly to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Contact your doctor for details.
- Before taking Topamax, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction or other problems. Contact your pharmacist for details.
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: glaucoma, kidney problems (e.g., kidney stones), liver problems, lung/breathing problems, mental/mood problems (e.g., depression , suicidal thoughts), certain Metabolic imbalance (metabolic acidosis), high-fat, low-carb diet (ketogenic diet), weak/brittle bones (osteoporosis).
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or affect your judgment/coordination. Alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) can make these effects worse. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that requires attention until you can safely do so. Avoid alcoholic beverages. Talk to your doctor if you use marijuana (cannabis).
- Topamax can make you sweat less and make you more prone to heat stroke. Avoid things that can cause you to overheat, such as hard work or exercise in hot weather or using hot tubs. In hot weather, drink plenty of fluids and dress lightly. If you overheat, quickly find a place to cool down and rest. Get medical help right away if you have a fever that won't go away, mental changes/mood swings, headache, or dizziness.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
- Children may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medication, particularly weak bones, slower growth, and decreased sweating. For more details, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Elderly people may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medication, especially dizziness. Dizziness can increase the risk of falling.
- During pregnancy, this medication should only be used when needed. It may harm the unborn baby. However, if you are taking this medication to treat seizures, be aware that untreated seizures are a serious condition that can harm both a pregnant woman and her unborn baby. Therefore, do not stop taking this medication unless your doctor tells you to. Talk to your doctor about using reliable forms of contraception (see also Drug Interactions section). If you are planning to become pregnant, become pregnant, or think you may be pregnant, discuss the benefits and risks of using this medication during pregnancy with your doctor immediately.
- This medication passes into breast milk and may have adverse effects on a nursing baby. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor if you don't know what to do.
- Learn about Topamax drug interactions to learn what to avoid when taking Topamax.
There's no way you can't be safe when using Topamax after checking all these out.
Topamax drug interactions
You need to know about Topamax drug interactions to know what not to put in your body while taking Topamax, as there are some things or conditions you could find yourself in that taking Topamax could be harmful or even fatal for you.
Drug interactions can change how your medications work or increase your risk of serious side effects.
Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products) and share them with your doctor and pharmacist.
Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medication without your doctor's approval.One product that may interact with this medication is orlistat.
This medication may reduce the effectiveness of hormonal birth control such as pills, patches, or rings. This can lead to pregnancy.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you need to use additional reliable forms of birth control while using this medication.
Also tell your doctor if you have new spotting or spotting, as these could be signs that your birth control method is not working well.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking other products that cause drowsiness, such as alcohol, marijuana (cannabis), antihistamines (such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine), sleep or anxiety medications (such as alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem), such as carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine) and opioid analgesics (such as codeine).
Check the labels on all of your medications (such as allergy or cough and cold products) as they may contain ingredients that make you drowsy. Ask your pharmacist about using these products safely.
Better and safer alternatives to Topamax
Still on the subject of how I am recovering from how Topamax ruined my life; Just because Topamax hasn't worked for you doesn't mean other medications or treatments aren't working for you.
After stopping Topamax treatment, consult your doctor and look for other treatments that are better, safer and more effective than Topamax.
Topamax isn't the only drug out there for treating migraines, seizures, and more.
I assure you that there are other medicines and medications that are more than adequate and compatible with your body's system, with few or no side effects. So stop remembering “how Topamax ruined my life” and treat your illness or condition that caused you to take Topamax in the first place and then get well again.
The following are good alternatives to Topamax;
- Carbamazepina (Carbatrol, Tegretol, outros)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek)
- Valproic Acid (Depaken)
- Oxcarbazepina (Oxtellar, Trileptal)
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
- Gabapentina (Gralise, Neurontin)
- Zonisamida (Zonegran)
Check with your doctor about which alternative to use to get the one that works best for you.
What if I miss significant doses of Topamax and what should I do?
Will not be long. It's just that if you've missed significant doses of the drug, it won't be effective or strong enough to treat the condition you took it for.
Here's what to do if you miss a dose by significant doses;
- If you forget to take one or more doses: Take the next dose at the usual time and half the amount. Do not take more than your doctor has prescribed.
- If you miss a dose, skip it and continue with your normal schedule.
- Do not increase the dose to make up for the missed dose.
- You should ask your doctor what to do if you don't know what to do.
What happens if I overdose on Topamax and what should I do?
Topamax overdose can cause serious side effects, detailed earlier in this article, such as: B. severe drowsiness, loss of consciousness, brain damage, etc.
If someone has overdosed and is experiencing severe symptoms, such as fainting or shortness of breath, call 911 (for US residents) or your doctor's number.
Otherwise, call a poison control center immediately. US citizens can call their local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. Canadian residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Is Topamax approved by the FDA?
Yes, Topamax is FDA approved, but many warnings and warnings have been issued and lawsuits have been filed against drug manufacturer Ortho MacNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and its parent company Johnson & Johnson.
Topamax's makers also paid fines for improperly promoting the drug as a treatment for bipolar disorder, drug and alcohol addiction, obsessive-compulsive disorder and others.
While it is illegal for drug manufacturers to promote drugs for off-label use, doctors can legally prescribe any drug they see fit to treat a patient's condition.
final words ofsoothe healthabout "how Topamax ruined my life"
Frankly, off-label prescribing has gone too far! Does Topamax really treat so many different conditions that doctors prescribe it for everything, even though it's not FDA approved for those conditions?
I must add that Topamax is one of the most dangerous drugs on the prescription market today.
Not just a diet pill made from sugar derivatives (actually a sugar substitute), it uses two dangerous methods (blocking voltage-gated calcium channels and voltage-gated sodium channels simultaneously) to accomplish what different classes of drugs normally do separately; Therefore, a drug can affect and damage two circuits that are critical to brain function.
Topamax is hard to put down. The more difficult problem is that some physicians are under the mistaken impression that a drug that blocks voltage-gated calcium and potassium channels can be easily stopped within days of tapering.
However, because the voltage-gated calcium channel is a high-voltage channel, the disorder can cause seizures in some people.
There is also growing evidence that Topamax can cause brain damage and I have heard of many cases where it has done just that.
Topamax is a sugar substitute that failed as a diet pill, but somehow the FDA allows it to be used for epileptic seizures.
It has also received approval for use against migraines. The reasons for such a turn of events are unclear; How can an unapproved medication for a diet pill suddenly be a perfect fit for seizures and migraines?
Don't we all wish the sugar pill was a pain reliever? Unfortunately, sugar or sugar substitutes don't have as serious side effects as Topamax (they often do have others).
Let's all find out. They must not play with our health.
Pay attention to the foods you eat, the medications and treatments you use, the drinks you drink, the creams you apply and even the different lifestyles we lead, because when your health is bad, you don't have the energy to enjoy life. . .
Bad health is bad for business, while good health keeps you moving.
Therefore, dear readers, always be attentive to your health and always get a go-ahead from a specialist before taking certain medications, so that you will not regret it later.
Okay folks, that's it for now with the "Topamax ruined my life" thing. Hope Healthsoothe has answered your questions about this.
Most side effects tend to go away soon after you start or stop taking the drug. But severe side effects that could lead to long-term problems and permanent damage from Topamax are possible. For example, Topamax may cause eye side effects,* such as glaucoma. And if untreated, glaucoma could cause blindness.Can Topamax mess with your emotions? ›
Personality or mood changes. Topamax can sometimes cause personality changes that affect the way people behave, react, feel, or interact with others. For example, the drug may cause agitation, aggression, or other behavior problems. Topamax may also cause mood changes, such as anxiety, mood swings, and depression.Does Topamax mess you up? ›
The five side effects that were most likely to cause people to discontinue use of topiramate were psychomotor (mental and physical activity) slowing, fatigue, memory problems, confusion, and somnolence/drowsiness. In rare cases, patients can develop kidney stones and a very few develop acute glaucoma.Is Topamax memory loss reversible? ›
However, a reason for its ability to affect cognition may be due to its GABAergic effects on the brain. Topiramate's effect on cognition is reversible. Patients not experiencing cognitive dysfunction may show improvement after topiramate is withdrawn suggesting that it can go unnoticed by the patient.